Friday, February 3, 2012

No Sugar!

I have made it 1 month without any sugar.  And no processed foods.  (Well, except rice and pasta).  I'm really liking the idea of going all year with out sugar.  I wasn't sure I could make it very  long so my goal was just until Jakob's birthday this month.  I feel so good and I don't have cravings for anything with sugar.  In fact, I am having the opposite reaction.  I can't stand to see junk food anymore.  It makes me sad when I see people eating candy bars and cupcakes, etc.  Sugar is so bad for our bodies!  It's like a poison.
Of course, I don't force the boys to not have sugar.  We don't have it in our house but if they are offered something then I won't deny them.  I've seen what that can do to kids and I'd rather let them eat it and just teach them that it's bad for them.  When we're shopping or something and they want something I talk to them about how bad it is for them and then tell them we can make something similar at home that is better for them.  It has actually worked!
Jakob's birthday is coming up in a little over a week.  I plan to make a cake for him.  A sugar cake.  I haven't found a good recipe yet.  But I just found a recipe for some good looking strawberry ice cream. I will try it out before his birthday :D.
I'll have to post the results.
  

1 comment:

Elysa said...

Congrats on meeting your goal! How did the cake turn out? I just made Lydia's #1 birthday cake: my one-year-olds always get a carrot cake because I can make it with the least amount of sugar, and this year I found a recipe with apple and orange in it, plus I reduced the sugar by 1/3 AND subbed half of that with stevia. It was great! (I was proud of myself-- it's the best I've done yet on a low-sugar cake!) The only trouble is the frosting.....