Sunday, December 4, 2011

One of my FAVORITE things to do...

Before I got married I use to go to the homeless shelter in Ogden, UT and serve dinner.  It was one of my favorite things to do. For several years I served on Thanskgiving day and a couple of times on Christmas day.  Oh, I loved to meet the people and visit with them!  I have met some amazing people there.  I always left feeling so grateful for all that Heavenly Father had given me.  After I got married John and I continued the tradition but only for a little while.  It has been so long since I've had that opportunity again.  Until we moved back here to Arizona.  Every 3 months our ward Relief Society is responsible for not only serving but preparing the meal for a very small homelss shelter in town.  I have taken that opportunity a couple of times now.  This last Thursday was one of my most memorable experiences!  I got there early so I visited with the families.  There was a family with a 14 month old and a 7 DAY old baby.  It broke my heart to see this family down on their luck.  I also met another guy there.  He was young and very smart.   I am so grateful for the opportunities that I have that open my eyes to all that I have been blessed with. I have been richly blessed in my life! 

2 comments:

SHILLIG4FAMILY said...

I just told jake I want to do something hands on service with my kids. Way to be an example for me.

Colleen said...

I need to do that, I've always wanted to, but never have. So humbling to see how much we truly are blessed!