
I went to Time Out for Women this weekend, in Phoenix. It was just what I needed! I went with my friend Cathy. She brought her daughter Debra and we stayed the night at Valarie's and she took her granddaughter to the Time Out for Girls.
I loved the theme. "Choose to Become". We were encouraged to spend the weekend listening to talks and the spirit and then pick one thing to "become". One thing to work on.
I had already chosen my "become" before I went. (Not purposly for this event) You can read about it in my October 27th post "Life Changes".
I learned so much and was filled spiritually more than I could have asked to be.
Something I thought about as I listened to Mercy River speak about how "Mothering is about the heart", was how grateful I am to live in a community where stay-at-home moms are the norm. Macy sang a song about a mom who felt insecure because all the women in the world work and motherhood wasn't a glamorous thing. I love that all the moms I live around walk to the bus stop and kiss their kids goodbye and then wave as the bus leaves. All the moms volunteer in their children's classrooms. All the moms take their kids to sports and music classes, etc. I LOVE that I am surrounded by and encouraged by these moms to be an involved, stay-at-home mom.

Hilary Weeks was awesome! She talked a lot about the different experiments she's done to be more positive and love others. Something she said left me changed as a mom. She was talking about herself as a mom and how she came up with the lyrics to one of her songs and she said, "I will have eternity to know my children as adults but only this moment, now, to know them as children". WOW! I sure look at my children and my time with them a lot differently!
I couldn't wait to hear from Linda Eyre and Shawni Pothier. I follow Shawni's blog "71toes.blogspot.com" and she has had a big influence in my 'life changes' this last month. They spoke about being Holy in the midst of havoc. Shawni retold a story by Chieko Okasaki where the Savior came to visit a mother. This mother was so excited to have Him in her home. But he came unexpectedly and she not only had a messy house but she had a ton of running around to do with her kids. The Savior kept asking her if He could help or come along because he was pretty good at this and that (those things she was trying to accomplish or take her children to). But the mother kept telling Him to stay where He was and that she would be alright getting it done by herself. The point of the story was that we need to let the Savior be a part of our lives and to "take Him with us". And if we do, we will find "holiness" in the midst of our crazy lives.
I had such a great time!
2 comments:
Amazing. Truly amazing.
Sounds like so much fun! It is great to see you with good friends,
Post a Comment