I teach Gospel Doctrine in my ward and I LOVE IT!
It's one of those callings that I seem to get in just about every ward I go to. It's either Gospel Doctrine, Gospel Principles or Relief Society. I have had one or a couple of those in every ward I have been in. I think Heavenly Father has been trying to teach me something and I'm just not getting it. :D
I've had friends visiting from the States for the last two weeks so I asked someone to sub for me this past Sunday. John was leaving for a 2 week field training the same time we were to leave for church. Jakob was giving a talk in primary and I was excited to be able to go in and listen to him. (He wrote it all by himself, literally wrote it) But 20 mintues before we were to head out to church I got a call from the 'sub' saying he wasn't going to be at church. AAAAH! What was I going to do? I still hadn't gotten the kids dressed and ready and I was only half way ready and John was running late too and I hadn't read the entire lesson, only skimmed through it. I hate being unprepared!
I tried really hard to not stress. This was going to be one of those times when I was going to fully depend on the Lord to get me through. One of those times, like when I was a missionary, when I was going to listen for the Spirit to tell me everything I should say :D.
The lesson was on Amos and Joel. I had only read a little and was completely unprepared. I started off talking about prophets and the two scripture mastery scriptures that are in the book of Amos. I asked the class if anyone could tell me what the prophet or other leaders had to say to us this month. Only a couple of people were able to say a little about it. Then we got discussing why it was important to have a prophet. In our day, I can't imagine NOT having a prophet. The world is in such chaos. Having a prohpet in our day who gives us guidence into how we should be conducting ourselves and who gives us council on how we can be in this morally corrupt world- gives us something to hold onto. LIke the Iron rod, it is almost physical in nature, something that helps us stand steadfast and use as a defense against all that is around us. I am so grateful to have the Gospel and to have a modern day Prophet to look to.
As we were discussing these things the thought came to my mind, "if having a prophet is so important in our day and we all know how much we need one, then why is it that we, myself included, have no idea what he has to tell us each month? I mean really, how many of us skim through the First presidency message, if read it all? I use the excuse that we don't get the Ensign until the end of the month. It's not much of an excuse since I have the internet and can look it up on the church website.
Well, as General Conference approaches and as I have thoroughly enjoyed the RS Broadcast, I am making a commitment to change my ways and become eager to read and learn what our leaders have to tell us. How grateful I am for modern day technology and the ability to hear what they have to say even though I live on another continent and how grateful I am for Thomas S. Monson, his counselors and the 12 Apostles!
3 comments:
What a wonderful testimony!
Thank you for sharing!
Thank you for sharing! You made a good point. Anyone with internet can/should be eager at the beginning of each month to click on the message. So very true!
I love General Conference, too. Thank you for sharing this!
Post a Comment