Wednesday, August 11, 2010

FAMILY HOME EVENING

For family home evening we talked about Adam and Eve and how Adam was the first man on the earth. Jakob asked, "How was he made?" I told him that all we know is that he was made from the dirt, that Heavenly Father made him. Then he asked, "But who borned him?" (Who gave birth to him?) So, we had a little discussion about that. He couldn't quite grasp the concept that someone was 'born' but not from his mother. He then asked questions about who took care of him while he was a baby and others pertaining to that. Finally, after discussing this for a little while it he seemed to have gotten it so I asked him questions to see how much he really did understand. My favorite answer was when I asked him, "How was Adam made?" He casually said, "From the mud".
This kid amazes me! Yesterday he was playing with my iPod and was looking in the podcast section and clicked on a picture of the temple. I asked him what he was going to listen to and he said, "I want to learn about the temple".
Today, again on the iPod, he wanted to watch an episode of "Cook Yourself Thin" (he is really into cooking shows). As he watched it he would repeat the instructions on what types of food to add and how much.
Last week I started singing lessons. She asked me to watch a video made by Clayne Robison, a BYU professor who can teach anyone to sing. Jakob watched the entire video with me and even practiced along with it. Today, I had another lesson and I brought the boys. As Sue was instructing me about my posture and such, Jakob would pipe in with more detailed instructions that he learned from the video and they were right on.
A few months ago Jakob decided he wanted to share his testimony on Fast Sunday. He didn't quite know what to say all he knew was that he wanted to get up there. So, Dad went and helped him and then we decided we needed to have a little lesson on testimonies and what Fast Sunday is. This last testimony meeting he could hardly wait. He was so funny about it too. He wanted to get up there so bad but he didn't want to be the first person so he waited for several people to go up and then he went. This time he did not want any help. He knew what he was going to say. It was the cutest thing. I can't remember exactly what he said (I know, I need to be better at writing these things down!) He did say, "I know Jesus is real and that He loves me". For me the fun part is that when we discussed what a testimony was I asked him what he knew to be true. And Jesus was what he talked about the most.
Another cute thing about him lately, is that he is really into being "COOL". He wants to dress 'cool' and have his hair spiked 'cool'. He is very adiment about picking out his own clothes. Lately his 'cool' clothes is shorts with long socks pulled to his knees and a belt fastened on the outside of his shirt. No matter how much I try to tell him that isn't really 'cool' he still insists that it is. One time I tried to use the, "but if you look at all your friends, they don't wear their clothes like that". His response was, "I don't want to be like everyone else".
Oh, how I love this kid!

3 comments:

Colleen said...

What a cute kid!

Anonymous said...

Howdy!

I just wanted to say you and your family are such a wonderful inspiration. I'm overseas right now and think it's awesome how Jakob is growing! They are a product of who we are. Jennie and the kids are doing fine. We miss you guys. Later! -Mike O.

SHILLIG4FAMILY said...

Oh my word, ADORABLE!
I can't believe it all, he is awesome!