I go to a support group for foster and adopting parents and it is AWESOME!
It's at the Baptist church down the street from my house and is a new support group. It's facilitated by a couple who adopted a 4 yr old from Russia several yeas ago. We are reading and discussing the book The Connected Child by Karyn Purvis (I mentioned it in my previous post) We had our support group tonight and I couldn't wait to go! This experience has been harder than I ever anticipated and today was an especially difficult day.
It is so great to sit around and talk with others who are going through or have gone through similar experiences as I am going through right now.
Tonight we talked about compassion and how sometimes it's hard to love a difficult foster/adopted child but the important thing is that we have compassion and that compassion will help growth happen and when growth happens love will develop.
The best, most touching thing I heard tonight, however, was not what Karyn Purvis wrote or said in her video or what the counselor said, or experiences shared by other parents. It was, "We do this not because we've been called to do it. We do this because it's what Jesus did. It's what he wants us to do. He wants us to love the way He loves".
How true that is! These children that have been placed in our home are very special to Him and he is trusting us to love them the way they deserve to be loved. To love them the way He loves them. Everyone deserves to be loved the way Jesus loves us. I want to be more like Jesus and love without judgment, reservations or hesitations. I want to love even when I'm being yelled at by my kids or when I'm exhausted and can't take another demand from a 3 year old. That is my new prayer!
3 comments:
It's so true and so hard at the same time! Kids take it all out of you. :) I'm so glad you can have this experience and be able to have the support you need to know what to do.
what a great group!
Marrian, thank you for this post. I really needed it. I think I'm writing that quote down next to my bed - something important to remember.
Post a Comment