Wednesday, January 18, 2012

Memorial Service to remember!














I went to a memorial service today. It was for a woman named Carolyn Ann Dove
She is a black woman (obliously by the pic above) who was very involved in her church and the NAACP.  (Thus, there were  A LOT of people there!)
I didn't know this until after I sat down with the program and read her bio.  Most of the people at the service were black.  I mention that because of somethings about them that struck me in a profound way.
After everyone was seated there was a procession of family and ministers, deacons, etc.  We all stood and watched these people file in and take their seats.  After several men in black suits went by there was this woman with a beautiful green suit AND hat on.  After here were many more women with colored suits and beautiful hats.  These women were dressed like what you would see white women wearing at a British wedding or something.  And yet, it is very cultural for them.  Why is it not for us white women.  I love hats.  But I don't remember the last time, if at all, that I have seen a white woman wear a beautiful hat like that.  I started thinking about how I would love to live in a culturally black town.  To take dressing lessions from them and learn to express myself in that manner.
That was one thing that struck me.  Another thing that struck me was their inihibitions during the service.  Of course, I grew up around Southern Baptists.  I spent years living in the South.  It's not a surprise to me.  But for some reason it struck me today.  I express my feelings towards God in more of an inner expressive way.  Reverent.  While most other religions express their feelings in an outer expressive way.  There is no right or wrong way, it just struck me.  After I got home I got talking to my friends that were still here (another story) about my experience.  We talked  about how we inhibit ourselves from expressing our knowledge and testimony to others.  Unlike other religions who are so outwardly expressive, we keep it to ourselves.  Sad!  So many times in my life have I been approached by "everyday" ordinary people of different religions asking me if I belonged to a church and would be interested in attending theirs.  And outward expression of their faith.  Do you know how many times I have gone up to someone and asked them the same thing?  Aside from my mission, NONE!  And I have the truth!  How sad is that? 
The last thing that struck me was something one of the ministers said.  He said, "God didn't say we can't grieve.  He said we should not grieve WITHOUT HOPE".  What a powerful statement!  It's ok to grieve.  But the only way to get through it is to have hope.  And who do we have hope in?  Jesus Christ.  It is because of Him that all of us will get to see our loved ones again someday. 
I think I need to add another resolution to my year...learn to express self outwardly.  OH, That one could take me more than just a year, but it's a shot!

1 comment:

SHILLIG4FAMILY said...

I love hats, I wear them on Easter but that's about it, maybe if we were in the same ward we could bring hats back together :)