Monday, December 19, 2011

Church CALLINGS

Several months ago I started to post a blog about my first calling I got in my current ward.  And I just realized that I never posted it.  We moved into our ward the very end of December last year and in February we finally got callings.  I was so excited to get a calling in the ward!  But when the Bishop extended the calling I wanted to run away and cry.  It was my MOST feared calling ever!!  And one that I had no experience in.  It was the nursery. 
I hated kids!  Ok, not really.  But I was terrified, to say the least, of a room full of 2 year olds.  And when I say terrified, that doesn't even scratch the surfice of how I felt.  Then, my first Sunday in there confirmed my worste fears.  There were 20 SCREAMING and crying kids.  My husband was out of town and the other couple that were suppose to be in there with us didn't show up.  OH MY HECK!  What was I going to do with 20 screaming kids. And a member of the Stake Primary presidency decided to show up for a visit.  After church I headed right to the Bishop's office to tell him he made a HUGE mistake, and I did that for a few Sundays after, too.  His counselor, Bro. Payne was always there to reassure me and give me support.  It was probably the second Sunday when he said to me, "Sis. Lord, this is going to be a calling that you will one day be sad to be released from".  Yeah, right!
Well, things got better and Bro. Payne was right.  I LOVED those kids.  And I loved that calling.  My heart was still yearning to be in Relief Society, but that was just because I had no friends yet.  I kept hearing that nursery is the "best kept secret" in the ward.  And it sure is!
Well, I was eventually released and called to be in the Relief Society presidency.  (The same calling I had when we lived here 4 years ago).    I was sad to leave the nursery.  We had done so much with them.  And I had grown so much.  Almost every Sunday since I was released, I have gone back to visit my favorite 2 year olds. 
Bishop released me today, from my RS calling.  I knew it was coming. (I will post more about that another time)  And I can't wait to start my new calling!  It will start in January and John and I will be working together again.  I am beyond excited to be teaching those scary 2 year olds again!  Only this time, they are all 3 now, going into Sunbeams.  YAY!!!!!!! 
I will be sad to leave Relief Society!  But a little relieved too.  We live in a ward that is so very demanding.  Just today I was sitting in Sacrament, looking around at the members and thinking about what a sacrifice it is for so many just to get to church every week.  We have so many really old couples and sisters.  We have so many really poor families and we have so many who struggle mentally and emotionally as well as physically and spiritually.  It has been a very demanding calling. 
It will be nice to be back with my favorite little people!
And best of all, I get to teach Relief Society one more time before starting my new calling.  Oh, how I love to teach!

3 comments:

We are the Terry's!!! said...

Oooo yes I was called to be in the nursery when Dave and I moved here... I stayed there till I had Coleman then they released me. Not too long after I was released, I got called to be in the sunbeams! Yep... The same class from nursery and stayed till I had Hudson. It was a fun calling but I was Sooo glad to be done and now my current calling is the ward librarian! I have to say that is probably by far my most favorite calling ever!

SHILLIG4FAMILY said...

I think Jake would love a nursery calling ha ha.
team teaching the ctr 4s with Jake was my favorite calling.
yay!

Colleen said...

You always get released when you finally love a calling! That will be so fun to be in sunbeams! I'm so glad someone likes to teach RS, because I'm definitely NOT one of them! Glad you get to enjoy it one more time. :) Merry Christmas, BTW!!!