Jakob loves a good thrill and the swings and merry-go-rounds are just not thrill enough for him. So he has started standing, after getting in motion, for a little more thrill. However, this time he did not have a good grip and flew off landing on his arm. Of course, it took me two days and two more trips to the park before I took him in to be looked at. It's so hard to tell with Jakob. He can be dramatic and he can also have a good time while in a lot of pain and not show any signs that he's hurting.
The brake is clean and should heal quickly. Only 3 weeks in the cast.
After going to the Pediatrician we had to take his to a German Orthapedic. Luckily the Orthopedic spoke English very well. HOwever, the nurse that did all the work didn't speak a single work of English. I'm still not sure why the American pediatrician wasn't able to put the cast on.

This is Jakob's arm after leaving the clinic. He had to stay in this until the swelling went down.

Eventhough the nurse couldn't speak English, she still LOVED Jakob and all his expressions. Jakob was/is the youngest patient they've had with a broken bone.
I did learn a few things and was surprisingly able to understand quite a bit. She was so sweet and eventhough we didn't speak each other's language, she still talked to us the entire time.

They did things a little differently at the ortho. They put a red cast on him and then cut it open and then wrapped it with a rubbery gauze. They said taking it off would make him cry. Ummm... it was just as hard getting it cut this time as it would have been in the end.
They let Jakob choose which color he wanted and the cute nurse suggested he have all three colors. So that's what he did. He HATED this thing at first. The first night he cried and screemed, "I'm dying, I want this off'. (Told you, he can be a little dramatic.) But now, he thinks it's cool. It is his right arm and I feel bad for him, but he is doing quite well with using his left hand. As expected, he does try to get out of as much as he can!
6 comments:
his cast reminds me of a flag of sorts...glad it all worked out even with the language barrier.
Oh the poor thing! I spent one too many summers in casts when I was younger! Looks like he was a trooper though!
Sounds like you've had quite a week!
Tell Jacob we think his cast is awesome! Miss you guys!
Ah Jakob, I am so sorry you are hurting. You could come and join Alex Coates, he broke his leg in 3 places. The two of you should get together and compare casts. Please get well soon. Love you little one.
Grandma Louise
Oh man, what an ordeal. We had an indecent last fall with Marin. She got fractures in both arms at the same time. The poor kid was miserable. But she still runs around very fast on all fours like she's one wild animal or another. Good luck with Jakob.
Post a Comment