Sunday, January 11, 2009

LDS Missions

Last night I was reminded of an experience I had as a missionary in Tenessee...on our way home from a Zone conference my companion and I went to visit an elderly woman who houses elders in her duplex. We had traveled with the elders and had no choice as to make this visit. While we were there she brought out a sponge cake. She cut it for us, passed a piece to each of us and we began to eat. (My companion had only been in the mission field a couple of weeks). As we were eating and starring at this cake we noticed a couple of cockroaches running around ON the cake. Luckily, I had already eaten my piece. My comp. however, was still chewing and had a little more to eat. It was the funniest thing! Apparently her kitchen was the home to many more of those bugs.
Well, last night we had the Elders over for dinner and they brought a Germany guy with them. It is custom in Germany to take a gift to the host of the house you've been invited to. So, this guy brought us gifts of this sponge cake shown above, as well as a couple other food treats. After everyone left I was cleaning up in the kitchen when I noticed the small bugs flying around in the bag. It made me laugh as I thought back to those mission days :).

Well, on the subject of missions...have any of you seen this movie? I thought it was great! It is definitley my favorite missionary movie that has been made. And part of that could be because the movie was filmed in the mission that we currently live in. Of course, it wasn't until last night that I learned we lived in the Munich/Austria Mission. Upon learning this I asked the Elders if they had heard about the movie and one of them started laughing a little. I asked if they had seen it and what was so funny. If you watch the movie there is a scene where someone is getting baptized at a river, which is a common place for baptisms around here. At the scene of the baptism is a small crowed of missionaries and members and the two elders serving here were in that scene.
So, if you get a chance, check out the movie and learn a little Germany :).

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

roaches and the south go hand in hand...

and I NEED to see this movie ASAP!

Isaak and Jackie said...

that is disgusting I can't believe the stuff missionaries get to experience, good times.